How can I rent an affordable housing unit with ENFHS?

To apply for all of our buildings please call BC Housing at 604-433-2218 or from outside the Lower Mainland 1-800-257-7756, contact by mail or in person at 101-4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V5H 4 V8. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30to 4:30, please include the housing registry code on the application form.

Do I qualify for affordable housing and what type of unit would I get?

Qualification for subsidized housing is based on a number of criteria, such as income and amount paid currently for rent. 

If a person or family's gross income is less than the following amounts, they would qualify for subsidized housing:  

  • 1 bdrm suite (1 adult/couple) less than $37,000/yr;
  • 2 bdrm suite (1 adult/couple plus 1 child) less than $45,500/yr;
  • 3 bdrm suite (1 adult/couple plus 2 children) $55,000/yr;
  • 4 bdrm suite (1 adult/couple plus 3 children) $57,000/yr.

Each Applicant is placed on a waiting list for the size and type of unit they qualify for (ie 1 - 4 bedrooms, family, seniors, disabled).

ENF & its related society, SPAHS (1997) Ltd. follow the national housing standards as follows:

  • No more than 2 or less than 1 person per bdrm;
  • Spouses/couples share a bdrm;
  • Parents do not share a bdrm with children;
  • Dependants aged 18 or more do not share a bdrm;
  • Dependants aged 5 or more of opposite sex do not share a bdrm.

How long will it take to get placed in a unit?

There is much demand for affordable housing. The number of applicants is much greater than that of the number of units available.

The length of an Applicant's wait will vary depending on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, the size of unit required and the number of units that become available.

The average wait period is six (6) months to one (1) year. A new placement can only take place when a current tenant moves out.

I need a place by the end of the month, can you help me?

Unfortunately ENFHS does not provide emergency housing.

Where am I on the wait list?

ENFHS is not able to provide this information since new applications are taken every day and priority of placement is constantly changing.

The position of an application on the waiting list is not determined by the date someone applied but by priority of need.

How does ENFHS choose Applicants for the next available unit?

Placements are made from the waiting list based on a series of factors. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Availability: What size of unit is coming available (ie 1, 2, 3, 4).
  • Suitability: Are there any physical limitations for the applicant or members of the applicant's family, such as stairs?
  • Need Point Score: Guidelines set by BC Housing to objectively evaluate the needs of each applicant. The Guidelines consider the cost of rent as a percentage of income, current living conditions, assets, length of time on the wait list, etc.
  • References and Credit Checks: Good References from prior landlords are an important factor in the evaluation process. References and credit checks will be done. 

Can I keep my pets?

ENFHS has a no dog / no cat pet policy at all buildings except Alma Blackwell, where either one cat or small dog may be accepted. Our associated Society, SPAHS (1997) Ltd. also allows either one cat or small dog at Newton Green.

How much will I be expected to pay?

The amount you will pay depends on the size of your family, whether you are on Government Economic Assistance or based on your gross household combined income (before taxes and deductions).

Tenant Rent Contributions (TRC) which are the amount  tenants contributes to the total rent for the suite, are set at 30% of gross household combined income. Debt load is not taken into consideration when TRC is calculated. 

There is a flat rent charged to individuals on government assistance.

What happens if my income changes? Will I have to move out?

For subsidized or rent-geared-to-income (RGI) units, TRC's may be re-calculated when household income decreases.

TRC's also must be re-calculated when there is a change in the number of occupants in the household.

How can someone who applied after I did get into a unit before me?

As previously mentioned, the waiting list is not based on date of application.  Most often the timing of placement relates to the differences in eligibility for one of the units.

ENFHS manages a wide variety of housing units with 1, 2, 3, or 4 bedrooms. Some units are for families, some are for seniors and some are for those with disability.

When a unit becomes available, only the applications eligible for that unit are reviewed and current eligibility is confirmed.

We ask that Applicants to contact BC Housing to update their file when they have change to income, accommodation, or family size or at least every 6 months even if there are no changes.

What do I need to do?

You need to call us to update your file if there is a change in your income, if you move, if your phone number(s) change or or if your family size changes.

Even if nothing has changed on your file, we need you to call and let us know you are still interested every 6 months.

At the end of 12 months if there still has been no contact, the application will be permanently removed from the wait list and it will be destroyed and you will have to re-apply.

If you no longer desire to live in an ENFHS unit, please let the office know, so your application can be removed immediately from the waiting list.  This will save us time when looking for someone to fill an available unit.

It is important you keep in contact with ENFHS to report any changes to your: 

Phone Number(s)
Household Size
Gross Household Income